Discussion in "Project Help" started by    13kelly    Jul 22, 2008.
Tue Jul 22 2008, 06:46 pm
As a college project I wish to construct a device that will accept notes and increment a counter up to a maximum of 60 (mins). A display will show that the money has incremented the counter. Once the start button has been pushed the timer will decrement and lights will be turned on at a remote location. On reaching 5 mins remaining a buzzer will sound. On 2 mins remaining the buzzer will sound. On 0 mins a buzzer ans strobe will activate.

I hope this is enough information to help me in my quest for knowledge.

Thank you.
Tue Jul 22 2008, 07:25 pm
hi kelly,
firstly, u will have to decide on the following components:
1. The microcontroller u want to use (8051/PIC/AVR or ARM)
2. the input device: photosensor (or any other device) u want to use to detect the notes.(IR method or LDR)
3. the type of display u want to use to display the time (LCD or LED)
4. how u want to turn on the lights at a remote location.
do decide on these first and post them and then we can proceed step by step on ur project.
good luck.
 13kelly like this.
Wed Jul 23 2008, 12:59 am
Thank you for the prompt reply!
1. I wish to use the 8051 microcontroller.
2. The note validator will give a parallel o/p.
3. I hope to use a LCD Display.
4. The lights will turn on using a transistor switch.

Thank you for the help
Wed Jul 23 2008, 06:54 pm

Hi Kelly,

Your project sounds like the "Classic Vending Machine project", the other things like incrementing counter, activating light at remote location( using wireless Tx ,Rx , Phone line/Moblie etc), LCD interfacing,ending 5 minutes alarm, time up notification etc can be easily done.

But the main hurdle would be to design a system which detects real currency note from a fake piece of paper. instead of paper note you could use coins with precise weight/diameter etc ( but still would need some special hardware)

have you given this a thought ?

Arun
Thu Jul 24 2008, 02:32 pm
Arun,
The note validator is an off the shelf product from a company that manufactures them for vending machines. The validator is pre programmed to scan the note, it has the Optical Anti String Gate to look for strings or tape connected to the note/coin.

I have a table of connector outputs related to the validator.

The integration of the validator to the 8051 will be my main sticking point.
I will try to find the classic vending machine project and get back to you as soon as I get back from the movies with my boys. (Wall-e)

Thank you.

Jerry
Thu Jul 24 2008, 07:59 pm
fine jerry,
will help u to integrate the note validator to the uC once we know the communication protocol required by it.
hope u enjoyed the movie

13kelly like this.
Fri Jul 25 2008, 09:22 pm
is there any datasheet or reading material provided by the manufacturer. because only that document can provide you the protocol information of validator. as PID33 said.. once we know the protocol we can easily interface it.
Mon Aug 04 2008, 09:19 pm
I have forwarded the data sheet to you on the contacts e-mail address yesterday, 3/08/08. I hope you got it ok.

Jerry
Mon Aug 04 2008, 09:33 pm
sure i will check it.. you can attach the datasheet in forum (use post reply button on the bottom right or top right corner) so that everyone can see it. I did not get time to read it. I will try looking at it soon.

Please do post datasheet here so others can see and help you out soon.
 13kelly like this.
Mon Aug 04 2008, 10:02 pm
Here is the Note validator that I wish to use in the note validator project with an LCD display.
I hope that anyone out there that has information relating to a coin validator project could help me.

13kelly

Get Social

Information